16 Oct Girl Next Door, St Kilda
Saint Kilda recently welcomed in a new neighbour, Girl Next Door, who resides in the arty Tolarno Hotel on Fitzroy St. It’s owned by Sylvan Spatarel and Benny Thompson, also co-owner of Sauced, and head chef Alex Thompson has previously worked under Gordon Ramsay.
We arrive today to have a taste of their breakfast menu and a parade of smoothies, muffins and breakfast bowls soon hit the tables, colour coded and all.
Green with Envy
– Lime and coconut muffin
– Honey Mint smoothie: Honeydew, coconut milk, mint, lime juice, honey
– Green Breakfast Bowl: Coconut cream, vanilla and basil infused ricotta, pistachio, chia crumble, kiwi fruit, grapes, bee pollen, coconut
– White choc and macadamia muffin
– Banana Cinnamon smoothie: Banana, almond milk, cinnamon, coconut sugar, honey
– White Breakfast Bowl: Coconut cream and vanilla infused ricotta, pistachio, chia crumble with lychee, banana, bee pollen, coconut
Pretty in Pink
– Raspberry and white choc muffin
– Watermelon Crush smoothie: Watermelon, tropical juice, lemon sorbet
– Pink Breakfast Bowl: Coconut cream and vanilla infused ricotta, pistachio, chia crumble, dragonfruit, strawberries, bee pollen, coconut
While the muffins are a bit dense, the smoothies and breakfast bowls are fruity and refreshing. I particularly enjoy the Homemade Roasted Nut Granola with seasonal fruit and raspberry coulis, natural yoghurt and a drizzle of honey. Normally served in a bowl, today we have our little sample in a tumbler instead.
We then move on to the warmer options. One of the favourites of the morning are the Pulled Beef Sandwiches. 8-hour roasted beef brisket, melted cheddar, chipotle, spinach and sourdough come pressed and piping hot. Its tasty bold flavours are a highlight, though something refreshing would be good to break it up a little. Their Best Beans Around are similarly hearty. Slow cooked fagioli beans hides thinly sliced salami, and fresh mozzarella slowly melts on top. It’s a comforting dish enjoyed with the toasted sourdough on the side.
Breakfast at Girl Next Door seems to focus more on simple things done well. If that’s what you’re after for your morning meal, you’re in for a real treat.
Disclaimer: I was invited to Fancy Hanks as a guest, however, opinions expressed here are purely my own, and are based on my experience at the time
Girl Next Door
42 Fitzroy Street
St Kilda, VIC, 3182