18 Oct Borsch, Vodka & Tears, Windsor
Borsch, Vodka & Tears specialises in Polish vodka (and vodka cocktails), wormwood absinthe, Eastern European beers and contemporary Polish shared dishes. As a group we shared a couple of dishes together, and of course, couldn’t leave without trying some drinks (they have 160 types of vodka after all):
– Pierogi – beef, chicken, herbs & spices with bacon, fried onion, raspberry vinegar (6 for $24)
– Pierogi – porcini mushroom & sauerkraut with a breadcrumb coating
– Bison wings – spicy BBQ’d free range chicken wings, herby yoghurt sauce – the other other other white meat ($14)
– Hungarian lamb ragout – slow cooked lamb, peppers, tomatoes, sour cream, rye bread ($16.5)
– Saganaki – pan fried sheep’s cheese, rocket, lemon ($14)
– Honey vodka prawns – honey vodka, coriander, ginger, chilli, rice ($16)
My favourite of the dishes was the beef and chicken pierogi, which had an interesting, subtle flavouring from herbs and spices. The texture of the filling was quite unlike any dumplings I’ve had before. The hungarian lamb ragout looked good but was let down by a lack of seasoning. Saganaki was a hit, and the honey vodka prawns were refreshing.
With a warm atmosphere, it was perfect for a relaxing get together with friends. If you’re after some homely Polish grub and wanting try out an extensive range of Polish vodkas, Borsch, Vodka & Tears will certainly fit the bill.
Borsch, Vodka & Tears
173 Chapel St
Windsor, VIC, 3181
(03) 9530 2694