23 Aug Red Spice Road, Melbourne CBD
- A group of us decided to celebrate the end of block 3 with dinner. Originally we were going to go to Chin Chin, but for various reasons changed the location to Red Spice Road (the MacKillop St branch).
- We were fortunate to score a table in the private room, which was much quieter than in the main area. I assumed the menu was the same as what was on the website so I didn’t take a photo. As a result, some of the descriptions for these dishes are rather vague.
- Pork Belly with Apple Slaw, Chilli Caramel and Black Vinegar ($35)- RSR’s signature dish and the best one we had tonight. We ordered two of these. The belly had a decent amount of meat, wasn’t as fatty as I thought it would be and had a nice caramelised crust.
Soft Shell Crab stir-fried with Snake Beans, Wild Ginger and Black Pepper Sauce ($35)
– This was my second favourite dish, but there wasn’t much crab in it.
- Goat Rendang – Malaysian Goat and Potato Curry ($34)- Not really much to comment on. The meat was nice, but the flavours weren’t that special.
- Beef Cheek with Spicy Masterstock, Mushrooms, Basil and Lemongrass- Cooked until very tender
- Pork ribs- Also very tender and tasty, but again, not really that special.
- Crispy duck with mushrooms- This one had a very robust flavour, including basil.
– I only ate one piece of tofu, and it was the first thing I tried so I’ve forgotten what it tasted like, other than having a thicker outside skin with a creamy inside. When we were ordering, I didn’t know the tofu would be fried in a batter, but I would have thought the batter should be more crunchy.
All together the bill came to $311 for the 8 dishes for 10 people. The food was good, but I didn’t think it was worth the price we paid. It could be partly because I’m not huge on Thai food, but even the ones that were more Malaysian/non-Thai didn’t seem that wonderful. Having said that, I did enjoy my time tonight and it was also a good opportunity to try a wide range of dishes.
Red Spice Road
27 McKillop St
Melbourne, VIC, 3000
(03) 9603 1601